Portraying a Jedi Knight on the stage of Tomorrowland Terrace at Disneyland, Scott Damian, leaned down to talk to a little boy named Ben who had been chosen to be in the show.
Ben was having difficulty speaking in front of the audience because of a severe stutter.
Scott’s eyes went wide, because years ago… that had been him.
In this week’s episode of Your Creative Journey, Kevin and Paul talk with actor/writer/director/producer Scott Damian.
We talk about his journey battling a severe stutter as a child which he wrote about in “Voice: A Stutterer’s Odyssey”
Scott also talks about the gift that art gave him to discover his own voice.
Highlights from this episode:
- Scott talks about his first leading role in a high school production of “Little Shop of Horrors.” He pressed through the immense challenge of regulating his stammer in spite of an incredibly stressful situation.
- Scott’s journey as a writer thanks to the help of authors Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller who happened to see him in a show at Disneyland
- Key elements in telling a story whether novel-length or a screenplay
- The responsibility of the artist to mentor others along the way
- A baker from Louisiana who had an impact on Scott
An uplifting and inspiring episode.